Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Interview with Marcus Stevens: Managing Director, Law Staff legal Recruitment Limited

- You own and run Law Staff Legal Recruitment: tell me more about your role & company and how it has changed over the last few years.

My role now is to keep the whole machine rolling, overseeing 21 staff can be challenging, you have to be an excellent motivator and people person. A big quality is being able to manage people and being able to manage people properly is half the battle.

- What attracted you to this industry?

When I was a Recruitment Consultant back in 2002 I loved the "cut and thrust" of the industry, dealing with candidates and clients was a skill. I realised at an early point in my career that this is the most challenging selling stage: selling people is so stimulating, because they have opinions, objections and make decisions that will effectively change their lives, a recruitment consultant has that "power" to determine if the candidate and the client will be a suitable match.

Unfortunately the candidates do not read the script, I am sure I speak for so many Recruitment Consultants, when a candidate turns down an opportunity to join a firm, they have potentially made a big mistake and the consultant knows it. However, to convince the candidate is the most frustrating part, it then doesn't come down to the money, its that the candidate is just not looking at the bigger picture. Our role is to try and direct the candidate down the road that the consultant knows is the right one.

- What would you like to change about your industry?

I would like to see REC be more active in their role of governing this industry, to have a set format that agencies adhere to, otherwise they would be penalised. A court room within the industry would be good, having a team of adjudicators who would give unbiased decisions, perhaps even engage a lawyer to view proceedings, so it doesn't turn into a kangaroo court.

- Greatest challenge: Recovering from back pain! If anyone tells me they have a bad back I smile as I have worked for many years in constant pain, day in day out, and I still manage to arrive first into the office and am always the last to leave in an evening.

- Favourite aspect of your work: My favourite aspect is coming here working with a fantastic team, they are all so brilliant.

- What would you do, as a career, if you weren’t working in Recruitment?

I always wanted to be a sports commentator, as a little boy I used to sit with a tape recorder and commentate on sports programmes! A couple of years ago the BBC had an opportunity for potential sport commentators to send in a recording: I went to the BBC had a fantastic time, unfortunately I was unable to go to France last year to commentate on the Rugby World Cup due to work commitments.

I also would love to be a motivational speaker; I once met a guy called Willie Jolley, he was so brilliant, if you ever get the chance to grab hold of some of his work, do it, I recommend a tape called "The Dream Busters".

- Any recommendations for job-seekers looking at a career in Recruitment and Law?

My recommendation for a potential recruitment consultant, if you suffer with a possible low self esteem or lack confidence, go and work at Tesco. Even though we have taken a major turn in IT technology, this is a people business, you will get rejected, it‘s how quick you recover from the word No......................

To be honest - I would not recommend working in
Law ; you need to be a different breed to stay alive in this industry, I have a mountain of respect for women who have taken this career path and succeeded, in such a male dominated arena.

- Previous Jobs:

I have had many previous jobs, ranging for selling car engine cleaner, through to mobile telephones . This has all helped me in dealing with real life issues.

- What was your new years resolution and have you stuck to it?

My new years resolution was to give up the cigarettes, yes, I am very proud of myself.

- Ultimate ambition outside of work

My ultimate ambition is to lean to sail a catamaran round the capes, I start my first lesson in June watch this space for the pictures.

Many thanks to Marcus. View all law jobs from Law Staff Legal Recruitment

No comments: