Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Interview with Louise Triance, UK Recruiter

Louise Triance runs the UK Recruiter Community and has taken time out of her busy schedule to speak with us at CareersinRecruitment about her role and the Recruitment industry.

- You own and run 'UK Recruiter': tell me a little more about the nature of your business and your role within it

UK Recruiter is a community site for recruitment professionals in the UK. The site consists of a supplier directory, discussion board and email newsletter. It's my business and I do more or less everything myself. I have help with the technical stuff on the website (basic HTML is just about as far as I go) and someone (hello Fliss) to proof my blog posts and help moderate the forum.

- How has it changed over the last few years?

The main things would be starting my blog in late 2006 (which has really taken off now and is a main focus for me) and partnering with Broadbean to re-start the networking events -which again are going brilliantly.

- What attracted you to this industry and where did your business idea come from?
When I left the recruitment firm I worked for I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. My dad was just setting up a business with an ex-colleague offering "Web for Managers" training and I said I'd help out for a few months. After a bit I realised that we could do a version of the course called "Web for Headhunters". We offered it direct to search firms and as a public course via the REC for a few years. The website and newsletter grew out of that. At the time we were the only company offering a directory for recruiters, an email newsletter for the industry and internet training (and later our discussion forum). Obviously the market is a bit more crowded now but I do still try to keep ahead of the competition and avoid ideas that someone else is already offering (by the way, my dad keeps trying to retire but is called into service for doing the accounts now!)

- What would you like to change about the industry?

It has to be the image the recruitment industry has. Sorry, to say that in many cases the reputation our industry has is justified. The majority of recruiters are professionals who offer a great service for the price they charge. It's always the cowboys that ruin it for everyone.

- Greatest challenge: Stopping myself spending all day reading blogs!

- Favourite aspect of your work? Helping to facilitate introductions. I honestly love connecting people (which is one of the reasons we recently started our LinkedIn Group for UK Recruiter - with the objective of helping recruiters connect with others in the industry via LinkedIn.

- What would you do, as a career, if you weren't working in Recruitment?
I can't imagine ever working for someone else again so that would be pretty limiting for me. The first personality profile I ever completed did suggested Prison Warden......

- Any recommendations for job-seekers looking at a career in Recruitment?
Ensure your first role is with a decent company who will invest in your training and development. The days of being straight on the phones should have long gone.

- Previous Jobs:
The only other proper job I have had was working for a search and selection firm (Highfield Human Solutions). Despite having left 10 years ago I still haven't totally escaped from them and do the occasional consultancy project. They are definitely one of the great examples of recruitment consultancies.

- What was your new years resolution and have you stuck to it? I've given up on New Year resolutions, however, had I made one I would undoubtedly have broken it by mid Jan.

- Ultimate ambition outside of work: This is so cliched - but it's to be happy and to make those around me happy.

- Favourite tipple: Sadly mostly just soda water. Occasionally vodka and soda.

No comments: